Where Time would surely forget us......
Tan Chui Mui's new project Waiting for Snow in Kuantan just received support from Pusan International Film Festival's newly launched Asian Cinema Fund. The project will receive US$10,600 (RM37,000) for Script and Project Development.
In the previous Pusan International Film Festival, Mui had won the biggest prize of Pusan, the New Currents Award and also the prestigious Fipresci Prize for Love Conquers All, her first feature film. Waiting for Snow in Kuantan will be her second feature film.
Last year, in her acceptance speech she urged the Pusan festival to fund young Asian filmmakers. She then invested her US$30,000 (RM105,000) cash prize into another Malaysian production, Flower in The Pocket, the first feature film of Liew Seng Tat. It has just been completed.
Waiting for Snow in Kuantan (original title Menunggu Salji Di Kuantan) is a comedy about a woman who loses her memory after 3 years in a coma. To make the matters worse, she gained too much weight under the improper care of the hospital. Tan Chui Mui will be casting Gan Hui Yee, a theatre actress and also production manager for many Da Huang Pictures films.
This is the list of the 27 films that received the first Asian Cinema Fund:
Script and Project Development Fund ($10,600):
* "Addicted to Love" (China), dir. Liu Hao
* "Serbis" (Philippines), dir. Brillante Mendoza
* "Virgin Goat" (India), dir. Murali Nair
* "Waiting for Snow in Kuantan" (Malaysia), dir. Tan Chui Mui
* "Eclipse" (S. Korea), dir. Son Young-sung
* "Goblin" (S. Korea), dir. Yang Hae-hoon
* "Winter Cherry" (S. Korea), dir. Cho Eun-hee
* "Girl of the Himalayas" (S Korea), dir. Jeon Soo-il
Post-Production Support ($50,000 - $150,000 in services):
* "Wonderful Town" (Thailand), dir. Aditya Assarat
* "Life Track (Gueh-Do)" (China), dir. Jin Guang Hao
* "Fujian Blue" (China), dir. Ming Weng Shou
* "Opium War" (Afghanistan), dir. Siddiq Barmak
* "Hello, Stranger" (S. Korea), dir. Kim Dong-hyun
* "My Song Is ..." (S. Korea), dir. Ahn Seul-ki
Asian Network of Documentary:
* "In Search of the Riyal" (Nepal), dir. Kesang Tseten
* "Jalanan" (Indonesia), dir. Daniel Ziv
* "Kongcheng Ji" (China), dir. Dan Ji
* "My Camera and Tsunami" (India), dir. Venkatramani Ramakrishnan
* "School" (China), dir. Tie Wei
* "The Convert" (Thailand), dir. Panu Aree
* "Utopia" (China), dir. Wang Yiren
* "Waiting for Herzog" (India), dir. Shaan Khattau
* "The 5th Eye" (S. Korea), dir. Mi Young
* "Women From Farmland" (S. Korea), dir. Kwon Woo-jung
* "The Smaller, the Prettier" (S. Korea), dir. Yoon Doc-hyun
* "Black Mountain, Black Dirt and the Sky" (S. Korea), dir. Kim Young-jo
* "Naming Me" (S. Korea), dir. Han Seungeuk